Friday, March 18, 2011

What Are You Looking For?


I found some passages in President Uchtdorf's message, "Looking for the Good" that I wanted to share.

"Have you ever noticed that people can usually find whatever they are looking for? Look hard enough, and you can discover both good and bad in almost anyone and anything. People have done the same with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since its beginning. Those who look for the good will find a kind and compassionate people—a people who love the Lord and desire to serve Him and bless the lives of their fellowman. But it is also true that those who look for the bad will certainly find things that are not so ideal. Unfortunately, at times this happens even within the Church. There is no end to the creativity, ingenuity, and tenacity of those who look for reasons to criticize. They cannot seem to release their grip on grudges. They gossip and find fault with others. They nurse wounds for decades, taking every opportunity to tear down and demean others. This is not pleasing to the Lord, “for where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work” (James 3:16).... We have a choice. We can seek for the bad in others. Or we can make peace and work to extend to others the understanding, fairness, and forgiveness we so desperately desire for ourselves. It is our choice; for whatever we seek, that we will certainly find."

I thought it was interesting when I read about how people who look for the good in the church will find it. I have always wondered why it is that people blind themselves to the truthfulness of the Gospel, and hold to the things they have heard (generally not positive things). Then I thought of how I do this myself. I do it with people, things I am supposed to be doing, or with myself. Since I have read this message, as I have tried to look for the good things , it has been a huge blessing in my life! I find myself happier and more willing to do the right thing. The messages we recieve from our prophets bless our lives if we apply them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...