Thursday, March 10, 2011

Repent and Be Happy!


There is a statement about Repentance in Preach My Gospel that I really like. It says, " It (repentance) is a positive experience that brings joy and peace" (PMG Pg 8). When I first read this I didn't really understand. Repentance isn't always easy, and I sure don't feel peace and joy when I have done something wrong. Why is it that when we try to become a better person, more of what God wants us to be, we have more peace?

The only way that I can think of that explains it this: when you have done something wrong that you don't want someone to figure out. You know it is wrong and you worry what will happen. When we have sinned, we know that it was wrong, and when we are punished for it, we know it won't be pleasant. But when Heavenly Father helps us to feel that he knows what we did, and he still has forgiven us because we repented, it brings the same kind of peace as when someone on earth did the same, but to a greater degree. We then know that he is pleased with us, and we can be happy with who we are. I know that the closer we are to God, the happier we will be, and repentance is what brings us closer to Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...