Saturday, January 8, 2011

Coasting Through Life


One of the hardest things for me on my mission is to see great people who don't care. They will give you the shirt off their backs, but they don't want to find out the truth. Maybe they never got answers so they stopped asking, or maybe they got the wrong answers. I don't know if I will ever know exactly why people don't even want to listen. Occasionally I wonder, "Am I ever like this? Am I ever afraid to ask the questions that will lead me to the truth?"

It is pretty easy to see that when you coast in a car, you start to slow down and eventually you will come to a stop. Spiritually we are the same. Often we feel like we are strong spiritually, and we decide we can ease off a little bit. We begin to coast through life, and sooner than we would like to think, we are spiritually stopped. The solution to this problem is simple, we have to accelerate to get moving again. But how do we accelerate spiritually?

We all know the feeling that we aren't getting better. We may even be reading our scriptures, going to church, and praying, but we still are not "accelerating." I want to focus on a scripture, Matthew 7:7 "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." In this scripture we find the key to move forward.

We all have questions about life. Things like, why do I feel like ... when I do ...? Why is ... so hard? What should I do in ... situation? But I think a lot of the time we put them off or forget about them. To make our study, prayer, and church attendance better, we should take these questions to the Lord and then look for the answer. I know he does answer, and we can gain that boost of faith that comes from the experience. This will allow us to be "doers of the word, and not hearers only."

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...